- A Breakthrough in Making Plastic from Methane?
- Smart Grids: One Key to Saving Energy
- Engaged, Proactive Community Seen Critical to Resiliency Efforts
- Battery Storage Progress Seen Key to Clean Energy Future
- (What) Do We Learn from Cli-Fi Films? Hollywood Still Stuck in Holocene
- Basic Goal of ‘Boulder Strong’ … Resiliency
- Multiple Benefits Seen from Portland, Oregon’s ‘Ecoroof’ Initiative
- Biochar: When Their Waste Stream Becomes Our Energy
- Loss of Land Ice (Not Sea Ice) = More Sea Level Rise
- Feeding A Growing Population In A Warmer World
Category Archives: Science
Our changing climate is increasingly linked to food supply challenges, but experts warn against “single factor” explanations and urge quantifying of uncertainties.
“BEST” Researchers’ efforts aim to improve data on surface temperature estimates and their use could bolster public’s understanding of global land temperatures. It’s no surprise that the effort is not without some controversy.
LOS ANGELES, CA — “After a winter like this, how can you believe in global warming?” … “Climate change? Earth’s climate has always changed. Temperatures go up, temperatures go down.” … “Doesn’t the sun have something to do with it [...]
The weather outside was — what else might one expect, it being Seattle in mid-January? — cloudy, overcast, with on and off showers. The climate inside, by contrast, was bustling, somewhat frenetic, with American Meteorological Society (AMS) meeting attendants (a [...]
All five of the major temperature indices — NASA’s GISTemp, National Climate Data Center (NCDC), Hadley Centre/UAE (HadCRUT3v), University of Alabama Huntsville (UAH), and Remote Sensing Systems (RSS) — have published their estimates of 2010 global surface or close-to-surface temperatures.
The complexity of climate change — difficult science, short-term action versus long-term implications, a confusing public debate — is neither difficult nor complex in the hands of a farmer. It is as simple as dirt, seeds, water, and sun. At [...]
Understanding the carbon cycle is a key part of understanding the broader climate change issue. But a number of misconceptions floating around the blogosphere confuse basic concepts to argue that climate change is irrelevant because of the short residence time [...]